FmxAustralia.Com Mini / 50 / Pitbike Talk 50 Fun.... » Thumpstar Talk!

50 Fun.... The 50 craze is here to stay and now you have a forum to talk all about them...

Old 5th September 2006, 10:19 AM

Thumpstar Talk!

hey
i m looking at upgrades for my bike!(125 Thumpstar Pro 05 mod)
and because i m poor i dont have much money so im planning on maybe getting some secondhand stuff to upgrade.

fast50 forks?would they be much of an upgrade?
do they fit onto my bike?(wheel, brake, handlebars & frame)
what forks would be better suited to my bike?

swingarm? i like my swinger tho its (as all thumpstars get) getting eaten away a bit by the chain!
whats the best swinger to fit my bike (frame wheel brake etc)

anyone that has a thumpstar and done mods or researched what mods fit?
tell me about it!
engine and frame and wheels everything
main thing is the forks are pritty average.

thanks
Old 5th September 2006, 06:28 PM
Super Freak

• fast 50 forks will fit but will be to low, thumpys are higher than stock crf's
  • Get new heavyer spring for the front end $70, get it pumped up with nitrogen 160psi
  • Any swingarm will fit , but you dont need to change swingarms.. Just get a fiveO or Billetware chain slider $25 from OZ50's for the Billetware unit.. Slight mods and it'l fit on.. Ive been running around for the last year on the same slider 50+hrs on it and just ordered a new one 3 days ago.
  • See the raise section on the slider the cahin rollers ride on it... once it cuts a slight grove at the front of the slider it doesn't get any worse and doesn't even get anywhere near the swingarms alloy, in this photo it had been on the bike for 45hr at least..

Last edited by eichkay; 5th September 2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 5th September 2006, 06:33 PM

I wouldnt put speed forks on a thumpstar....just mod the thumpstar ones.
Old 5th September 2006, 06:59 PM
Super Freak

Hey sorry to get off topic, but eichkay where did you get your crank breather filter and how much was it? It looks trick as!
Old 6th September 2006, 07:48 AM

yeah someone was selling them forks 2nd hand i was an still kinda am looking at some Marzocchi forks just dont think paying 2500bucks for new ones would be all that great but a 2nd hand set for less than half that price would be nice!
would they fit the thumpy well?

i wanna change what i have cos stock forks (suck) and rear shock (average) arent doing anything for me and upgrading em to the best product would be nice!

iShock with Reservior sounds good for the rear

i m not sure if i'd wanna make any engine mods because i ride trails at the moment an hill climbs would probally be affected by an inner roter kit or lightened fly wouldnt it?
also i m planning on making a track for half decent jumps an some racing!
an cos i m 95ish kilo i'd probally need good quality crap.

also being 6foot 1or 2 i was wondering what bigger bars would do for me? i only get the odd knee bash on the handle bars but not oftern for the time i spend on whinding tracks! any thoughts?
i saw a thumpy like mine someone had put pro tapers and they had to cut the top of the bar clamp in half and move the bottem bracket closer together because the bars are skinnyer! also if the bars go higher would i need to change my throttle cable? seams short!

air dosnt like my front shocks! air seams to come back out where you put it in! valve problem? could be seal problem no idea!
them heavyer springs you talked about where do ya get them from? how hard are they to put in?

i never got a manual for my bike when i bought it so ive been doing everything by feel!
Old 6th September 2006, 08:20 AM
Special Monkey

the highest bars are deffinetly BMX bars but u need to modify your clamb, you have to re drill the clamps cloer on your plate.

and im running an I-shock with reservoir on my crf and there deffinetly an awsome shock so deffintly go for that.

cheers
Matt
Old 6th September 2006, 08:34 AM
Super Freak

Hey nubie can you explain the bar clamp mod you speak of as i don't quite understand what you mean? I shock with res should be sweet, and marzochis would definatly be awesome forks, but the thumpstar ones would be good if you got the insides rebuilt. Nick
Old 6th September 2006, 09:32 AM

because the bars are skinnyer the bottem part of the clamps have to be brought closer together! (drilling new holes as doormat said) an the top part is one piece so you have to cut that in half and make the halved pieces smaller to make the clamp not as wide!

thats the best i can do at explaining but it seamed to work well tho!
Old 6th September 2006, 10:45 AM
Super Freak

Get renthal bars ... they the same hight as most BMX , thats what i have now... i use to have TAG mini plays on the bike and loved them.. Not as wide as stock bars either but the renthals are better again higher up and same width as the TAG's (you wont need to change the cables either btw)

The TAG's would have been around 3/4 of a brick lower.

Heavyer springs for the front shocks give BOXy a call. 0411 735 134

You probly wouldn't need to get the res i-shock a standard i-shock would be fine but the thumpys need a slightly longer shock than the crf's ... i-shock make a shock for imports, its listed on most websites. I'm running a WhitePower gas shock off a KTM LC50, i need to get a lighter spring for mine tho, tad hard i think.

Last edited by eichkay; 6th September 2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:54 AM
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy Rider
Hey sorry to get off topic, but eichkay where did you get your crank breather filter and how much was it? It looks trick as!
I got it from a car performance shop, its a K&N unit, you can get carbon fiber tops on them aswell.. i didn't know about the carbon fiber one until a month later.. I think i paid $35-$40 range. I'm pritty sure part number for mine is 62-1330, i got a ruber based unit, but there are heaps to choose from.

http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

Just wish i knew about the carbon fiber unit ... mmmmm carbo fiber